What is Lindisfarne House?
St. Andrew’s Church & Academy’s Lindisfarne House is a gap year program in which the participants take temporary monastic vows for one to two calendar years.
Is there an age limitation to participate?
No, there is no age limitation. The program was built, however, with 18-30 year old people in mind. Our participants have ranged in age from 18 through 35.
What if I’m interested, but have already been accepted into my college/university of choice?
This is a very good question. One of our interns five years ago was in this very position. He very easily deferred his acceptance into his university for one year, which most colleges/universities will do, and came to St. Andrew’s to participate as a Lindisfarne monk/intern for a year. He then started his freshman year at his university the following Fall.
What are the vows taken?
The participant takes vows of chastity, poverty, stability of place, and obedience. The vows are temporary, lasting the duration of the internship.
Why would one do such a thing?
There are many reasons.
- Opportunity to serve Christ and His Church
- A time of focused spiritual direction
- Exploration of classical High Church Anglicanism
- Living in the most beautiful part of America! (at least, that’s our opinion)
What does a Lindisfarne participant do?
Interns do whatever is needed by the Church and Academy with consideration to each participant’s strengths and talents. This has included: office management, education (teachers as well as aides), computer graphics and design of print and web media, video production, outdoor recreation, public relations, publishing, child-care, and sewing.
What are the other commitments for a Lindisfarne intern?
- An intern should expect not to go home for Christmas, Easter, or any other major holiday during his or her internship. Rather, the experience of going through the entire Church calendar year within just one parish is an intentional aspect of the program. Family weddings and funerals have been exceptions.
- The commitment is for at least a full calendar year.
- No dating of any kind is allowed during the internship.
- Other employment is not considered compatible with the gap year program.
Wow, sounds amazing! Is there any way I can do a summer internship since I only have a summer?
Yes. St. Andrew’s periodically has a summer intern or two when the situation calls for it; the summer participant doesn’t take monastic vows.
This sounds like a great opportunity for spiritual growth. Where can I get more information?
Email the Priest in Charge: [email protected]